Sunday 20 January 2013

Bhutan

I wasn't too happy with my previous country profile post, so I will try and make this one look much more interesting.


Bhutan!

Bhutan is a landlocked South Asian country below Tibet, and has quite a few interesting points to talk about. For example, in Bhutan, the offical language is Dzongkha, which has roughly 170,000 speakers, and they write it the Tibetan script which looks like this འབྲུག་ཡུལ  (Translates as: Bhutan) Their anthem, Druk Tsendhen, means "The Thunder Dragon Kingdom." Which to be honest, kinda blows me away in coolness.

They have various festivals, the one that seem to be the most important and interesting is called Tsechu. This is held annually, and is associated with Drukpa Buddhism, or འབྲུག་པ་བཀའ་བརྒྱུད. Drukpa Buddhism is considered a new 'school' of Tibetten Buddhism. I think* Drukpa Buddhism (all these names!) is one of paths in Vajrayana Buddhism, but I am not really sure. It's supposedly Bhutan's main religion. I'll edit the blog if I can find out the differnece between Drukpa and Vajrayana, but the difference between Vajrayana Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism (which shares a very large proportion of Buddhism with Therevada and Tibetten) is that Vajrayana has "empowerments" while the latter doesn't, which are apparently for Tantric rituals which is apparently is also what Vajrayana Buddhism can also be called as, as well as Secret Mantra, Esoteric Buddhism, the Diamond Way, or the Thunderbolt Way. (Alright, I name spammed on purpose, but the info is genuine! {ish})


Tsechu

Back to the Tscehu, it seems to involve a lot of dancing, including the Cham Dance, which involves colourful costumes and masks in two-time.


Other Information

Bhutan recently became a constitutional monarchy.


And I think that's it for this post. I'll try to update this one if I can find anymore information later. Expect another country profile soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment