Tuesday 17 December 2013

The Girl and the Dragon

Recently I made a post about Little Cat which is a little game I have been working on for a while using a game designer program called RPG Maker VX. I quite enjoyed sharing my project on this blog, so I've decided to share another, this time made with the updated engine, RPG Maker VX Ace - which I have found much more efficient to use. This game is called The Girl and the Dragon and I've been working on this on/off since August, on average about eight/ten hours a month.



This is a character and decision driven RPG game with a firm story that has been pre-planned. The main character, "Aethelinda", is on a quest to free dragons from the 'forbidden realm' in return for gaining the powers and protection of a dragon. All she has to do is destroy fourteen towers that hold up 'heaven', and use her will to open a Timegate. Sounds simple right?


Only the dragon is evil, twisted and sinister, and there is a reason why the dragons are in the forbidden realm.

If they ever returned, all of humanity would be wiped out.

Surely then Aethelinda should not free the dragons then, you say? But if she doesn't, she will be dragged into the 'forbidden realm', lose any powers she once gained and return into Deaf-blindness. Alone. With a bunch of dragons.


Now before I go any further - This isn't in any way suggesting people in real life with Deaf-blindness are inferior. (Helen Keller anyone?) It''s just that everyone in Aethelinda's village suddenly vanished one day, leaving her alone. With no food or water, it was a matter of survival to promise to help the dragons.


This project is a challenge hoping to achieve the following.
  • Create a badass main character.
  • Include a multitude of major/minor characters with discoverable stories.
  • Have a thorough main plot, with minor plots in the background - should the player wish to follow them.
  • Include countless options/decisions the player can make, which in turn can change the ending of the game.
  • Have cities, towns, countries identifiable by a unique culture. 
  • Be a fun game to play.


I enjoy incorporating lots of 'mini-stories' into the game, but this has been very time consuming. I have had to make a 'maker's guide' with all the spoilers in only so I could keep up with all the minor characters and their names. If I ever release this game I'll probably include the guide too.



If you are not familiar with RPG Maker VX Ace, there is already a shop system and an expansive database where one can create items/armours/weapons (etc, etc!) for characters to use/equip in the game. I'm a big database fan, so it's been satisfying avoiding the pre-made data and make my own. I hope to make as much unique content as far as my skills allow. My next aim might be drawing and sharing concept art for my characters - of which I feel are the key stars in the game.

I hope to post about my both my rpgs in the near future.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment